Arrest of scribe under Official Secrets Act leads to outrage
Mumbai: City journalists on Thursday took out a
"silent march" from Mumbai Press Club to the Mantralaya here
to protest against the Government Railway Police (GRP)
for arresting a journalist under Official Secrets Act, and to
seek his immediate release.
The scribe, Tarakant Dwivedi alias Akela, was arrested
for his article in Mumbai Mirror on how the weapons, purchased
after the 26/11 terror attacks, were rotting in the armoury
due to water leakage in monsoon.
The journalist was booked for trespass and non-bailable
offences under the Official Secrets Act, yesterday. Currently
he is in the police custody.
This is for the first time that a city journalist has
been arrested under Official Secrets Act.
The journalists from print and electronic media, who met
at Press Club this afternoon, demanded immediate suspension
of ACP Anil Mahabole of Mumbai Police who reportedly went to
Railway Police lock-up to tell him that `he wanted to see
Akela in jail`, although he (Mahabole) had no authority to go
The journalists then walked to Mantralaya to meet Home
Minister R R Patil. As the minister was not available, they
spoke to him over phone and were assured that he would inquire
into the matter and by evening take a decision on suspending
the concerned policeman.
Mumbai Marathi Patrakar Sangh and Press Club demanded
immediate suspension of concerned police officers for
arresting Akela. They also demanded dropping of charges
against him under the Official Secrets Act, besides an inquiry
by an independent body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly