Arrested Chinese national wants asylum in India
Itanagar: Guan Liang, the Chinese national
arrested for travelling without valid documents in Arunachal
Pradesh`s Lohit district, has expressed his intention to seek
asylum in India.
During a brief interaction with local newsmen at Tezu
police station, 28-year-old Liang said he was a dissident and
wanted to seek asylum in India.
"I came to India because everybody knows that India is
a democratic country and respects rights. I want to work for
political freedom of China," he said.
Lohit district police superintendent Manik Gogoi,
however, said on phone that Liang was yet to make a
formal request for asylum.
The Chinese national said he was a follower of Lin Zhao,
who was killed in 1960 for protesting the `silent killings`
carried out by the Shanghai government and for violation of
human rights in the country.
Speaking in fluent English with an American accent,
Liang said he had sent an e-mail to the UN Human Rights
Commission about human rights violation in China, while
working at a French restaurant in Beijing which led the
Chinese police to hound him.
After fleeing from his hometown in Henan district on
February 16, Liang said he travelled through several towns of
south-west China and crossed into Kibithu town in Arunachal
Pradesh`s Anjaw district in April.
Before his arrest at Digaru in Lohit district on May 18,
he did much of his travelling on foot with people feeding him
when he was hungry, the Chinese national claimed.
Liang has been booked under Section 14 of the Foreigner`s
Act for entering India without valid documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations