Arrested Indian workers in Kuwait safe: Official
Dubai: Indian embassy in Kuwait has sought the intervention of the Kuwaiti authorities to ensure the welfare and safety of more than 1,000 Indian domestic workers who were arrested in a crackdown on September 19.
Vidhu P Nair, Charge de`Affaires said they are hoping that all those arrested Indian workers with valid residency will be released soon.
Nair said the arrested workers are safe and there are no complaints or any cases of harassment.
He said no one has been deported so far. He also said Indian workers are held in 40 police stations in addition to the deportation and detention centers.
"The embassy is also in close contact with the External Affairs Ministry back in India and the Rajasthan state government," he said.
Kuwaiti authorities have been calling up sponsors and asking them to take their workers back.
Nair said the embassy is evolving a new attestation mechanism for screening newly-recruited domestic labourers from India.
"However, the process will take a long way which will help eliminate the maltreatment of domestic workers," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets