Arrested terror suspects linked to Dawood: Mumbai ATS
Mumbai: The two terror suspects, arrested
here for allegedly planning attacks in the city, are
associated with fugitive underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, who is
believed to be in Pakistan, an official of the Anti-Terrorist
Squad said today.
The duo, Abdul Latif alias Guddu (29) and Riyaz Ali
alias Rehan (23), residents of suburban Bandra and Dahisar
respectively, were arrested near Matunga railway station in
central Mumbai on March 13.
The duo`s instructor called `Uncle`, who had directed
the two to carry out attacks in select locations, is an Indian
and is a real uncle of Latif, the official said.
"The `Uncle` is also a close aide of Dawood and had
escaped to Pakistan following the 1993 serial bomb blasts
triggered by the don, who has links with various terror
outfits and ISI in Pakistan," the official added.
Riyaz and Abdul are also close relatives as the latter
had married the former`s elder sister eight years ago, he
The `Uncle` used to call Latif as and when required to
give instructions but in the last two months their interaction
over the phone had become more regular, the official said.
The two accused had conducted a recce of three
targets, headquarters of public sector company ONGC, Thakkar
Mall and Mangaldas Market -- and were allegedly planning to
carry out attacks which included sabotage and setting them on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan