Artists have full liberty to work: Shinde on `Vishwaroopam`
New Delhi: The Centre on Wednesday came out in support of film star Kamal Haasan, who is facing problems in releasing his mega budget film `Vishwaroopam`, saying everyone in the country enjoys the freedom of expression and artists have full liberty to continue their choice of work.
"We are a free society. There is freedom of expression. There is liberty for artists. We have a Constitution," Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde told reporters here.
He was reacting to a question on the actor`s statement that Tamil Nadu does not want him to stay in the state and that he might leave.
Asked about the problems being faced in the release of `Vishwaroopam`, Shinde said there was some problem in some states and he would look into it.
"We will see. We will enquire into what has happened," he said.
Upset over the hurdles caused by the ban on the release of `Vishwaroopam`, an emotional Haasan today said Tamil Nadu does not want him to stay in the state and he might seek a "secular" place in the country or overseas.
Meanwhile, on an appeal filed by the Tamil Nadu government against the interim order of a single judge giving clearance for screening of the Tamil movie, the Madras High Court today set aside order lifting the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing