Arun Jaitley plays down Badal`s Deputy PM remark, says he`s not looking for positions
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi/Amritsar: A day after Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal suggested that Arun Jaitley could be given the post of deputy prime minister if the National Democratic Alliance forms the next government at the Centre, the senior BJP leader sought to play down the remarks.
“Akali Dal-BJP relation is a comfortable relation. I am not looking for positions,” Arun Jaitley told ANI news agency.
“These are comments made in the course of a campaign,” Jaitley added.
BJP spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said Badal had only expressed his opinion.
“Badal ji is a senior leader, he hasn`t given a decision,” Naqvi said.
Shiv Sena spokesperson Sanjay Raut also commented on Badal`s remarks, saying, “Let Modi be PM, then we can talk about the Deputy PM.”
“Choti baate badi banke saamne aati hai, ye ghar ki baate ghar mai rahe to hi acha hai,” he added.
At Jaitley`s first rally in Amritsar, Badal had yesterday hailed the BJP senior leader, pitching him as the future deputy PM or finance minister if the NDA is voted to power under the leadership of Narendra Modi.
Notably, three-time Rajya Sabha MP, Jaitley is contesting his first-ever Parliamentary Election from Amritsar.
Jaitley was named by the Bharatiya Janata Party as its candidate for the Amritsar seat last week. Sitting MP, cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu was overlooked by the BJP for the seat following serious differences between him and leaders of the Punjab BJP and alliance partner Shiromani Akali Dal.
Commenting on the Amritsar seat controversy, Jaitley today said, “Both BJP and Akali workers were keen that I contest this seat. Party took a decision.”
He denied there was any controversy, saying “I spent hours trying to persuade him (Navjot Sidhu) to contest from Amritsar or elsewhere.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow