Arun Jaitley questions logic behind Rahul Gandhi`s BJP balloon jibe
Amritsar: A day after Rahul Gandhi`s BJP balloon jibe, Arun Jaitely on Thursday wondered whether the Congress leader`s remark was an "astrological prediction" or based on some rational political thinking and charged the Congressman of "living in denial".
The remarks were made during the release of Congress manifesto in New Delhi yesterday, said Jaitley, who is BJP`s candidate from Amritsar Lok Sabha seat.
"Sonia Ji said we will prove all opinion polls wrong. Second (comment) was by Rahul Gandhi... Who said the balloon of BJP will burst," he said.
Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha, Jaitley said BJP has never claimed that opinion polls are totally correct.
"But when reliable institutions conduct opinion polls... (they) indicate direction of public opinion and today there is clear direction that Narendra Modi is most popular person to become Prime Minister," he said.
He said the broad direction indicated by opinion polls is that Congress is nose diving to a two digit figure and BJP hopes to reach its highest tally in post-independence history.
Jaitley also dared Rahul if he can match Modi`s rallies with his own and said, "Can he compare the enthusiasm of candidates wanting to fight on a BJP ticket and the reluctance of many to fight on a Congress ticket?".
Taking a dig at Finance Minister P Chidambaram`s comments that FIIs are re-investing in India because of the steps taken by UPA government, Jaitley said the world over the analysis is that a likely political change with the possibility of Modi- led government at the Centre is creating a new hope in the investors.
"The problem with those who imagine themselves to be the King is that they see success in their failure and a silver- lining in each disaster," he said.
Jaitley, who will be taking on Congress`s Capt Amarinder Singh in this Sikh dominated parliamentary constituency, further said all opinion polls are "speaking the same language" that Congress and the UPA`s vote share is declining sharply while that of the NDA is going up.
He said while Congress has only 2-3 allies, the number of allies with NDA was on the rise and would go up further.
"In such a scenario to say that the balloon will burst... is it an astrological prediction or is it based on some rational political thinking...If based on some political thought, explain us the political logic," Jaitley quipped.
At the launch of Congress manifesto, Rahul had said "Just like the `India Shining` balloon exploded... I can say certainly the balloon will explode."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family