Arun Jaitley, Sharad Yadav to get outstanding parliamentarian award
New Delhi: BJP leader Arun Jaitley, Congress MP Karan Singh and JD(U) MP Sharad Yadav will be conferred the Outstanding Parliamentarian Award at a function here on May 9.
President Pranab Mukherjee will present the awards in the Central Hall of Parliament in the presence of Vice President Hamid Ansari, who is also the Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar will also be present at the function.
While Jaitley, who is the Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, will get the award for 2010, Singh is the recipient for 2011 and Yadav for 2012.
As part of celebrations to mark the 60th Anniversary of the Parliament, which come to a close on May 12, it has been decided to felicitate two members of first Lok Sabha - Kamal Singh and Surya Prasad - on the same day as they could not attend the function last year, a Lok Sabha bulletin said.
The Indian Parliamentary Group had instituted the Outstanding Parliamentarian Award in the year 1994. The award is conferred each year on an outstanding parliamentarian recommended by the award committee and approved by the executive committee of the Indian Parliamentary Group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam