Aruna Roy writes to Sonia; demands halt on new N-plants
New Delhi: NAC member Aruna Roy has demanded a halt in the installation and commissioning of new nuclear power projects and sought greater transparency on safety of existing atomic energy units.
In a letter to National Advisory Council Chairman Sonia Gandhi, Roy, who is known for her anti-nuclear stand, also sought removal of "false cases" against those opposing the Kudankulam nuclear power project.
She wanted the government to initiate a dialogue with people in the affected areas, including the people of Kudankulam.
Roy said the government should be "completely transparent about processes of nuclear (power) generation and the details of potential hazards should be placed in the public domain."
"The demand for information and re-evaluation cannot be deemed sedition and `war against the state`," Roy said in a letter to Gandhi, who is also the chairperson of the ruling UPA.
She said there was nothing sinister in the questions raised by ordinary people of the area about their safety, and the well being of future generations.
Expressing apprehensions over nuclear safety, Roy said the government should "stop the installation and commission of new projects of nuclear energy."
The first 1,000 MW unit of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project is expected to be commissioned next month followed by the second unit some time next year.
Roy demanded that the government evolve a comprehensive energy policy which would include a comparative study of the costs of different systems of non-conventional and conventional energy, and place the same in public domain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi