Arunachal Pradesh part of India, says Mark Tully
Itanagar: Noted journalist and author Mark
Tully on Sunday said Arunachal Pradesh is part of India.
"I see no reason why this part of India will be part of
China," Tully, the India correspondent of BBC from 1965 to
1994, told newsmen here today.
Tully said he is working on a book - `India since
economic liberalisation` - which will contain a chapter on
Northeast, including Arunachal Pradesh.
The hey days of ULFA in Assam, its tea industry besides
Meghalaya and Manipur will certainly find mention, he said.
Responding to a volley of questions, he said people never
opt for insurgency but become part of a compelling situation.
The situation in the Northeast has not been dealt with
effectively, particularly through political dialogue.
Nagas and Bodos want to live in peace and remain part of
India`s democratic system, he said, adding they also know that
their demand for independence is unrealistic and will never be
Tully, who is on a visit to the state, advocated more
road and rail communication, including early opening of 560-km
rail link between Agartala and Kolkata via Bangaldesh. "The
more communication, the better it is for every one," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India