Arunachal students protest outside Chinese embassy, detained
New Delhi: Over 100 activists of a prominent
students body from Arunachal Pradesh were detained on Wednesday when they tried to stage a protest outside the Chinese embassy here
against China`s claim over the state and demanded better
infrastructure and fencing along the border.
"We are very angry at the Chinese claim. That is why we
have come all the way from Arunachal Pradesh to protest it,"
General Secretary of the All Arunachal Pradesh Students Union
(AAPSU) Toujum Poyum said.
The activists, protesting against China`s claim over the
state and the reported construction of a dam across the
Brahmaputra river, said the Centre`s response to China`s
aggressive posturing towards the state was "lukewarm".
AAPSU also criticised the Centre for lack of roads and
airports in the "strategically important state" and said it
must have matching infrastructure to foil any possible Chinese
"The state despite its immense strategic importance has
very little infrastructure. The road connectivity is abysmally
poor. We still do not have an airport," AAPSU President Takam
Tatung said here.
Demanding fencing along the border, he said the
Government must erect fencing as Chinese forces have made
several incursions into the state in the recent months.
"The people are living in fear and anxiety. The
Government must take steps to ally their apprehension," he
said, adding better infrastructure in the forward locations
will ensure better surveillance and preparedness.
The Chinese protest over the visit of Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh to Arunachal Pradesh last month had resulted in
a war of words between the two countries.
Poyum said there is a feeling of alienation among the
people of the state and the Centre must address it.
The group also held a protest yesterday against the
Chinese claim over the state and had submitted a memorandum to
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read