Arunima Sinha cured of infection in amputated leg
New Delhi: National level athlete Arunima Sinha, who lost her leg after allegedly being pushed off a train, has been cured of infection in her amputated leg,
doctors at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, where she is undergoing treatment, said.
After making her undergo four sittings of VAC therapy -- to reduce the bacterial load in the infected amputated leg -- doctors will give a cover to her amputated leg and do some fixation of bones of the right leg tomorrow.
"Her amputated leg has responded well to the VAC therapy treatment. This leg is now free from all infection. We have decided to conduct the next round of surgery tomorrow which include giving a cover to the amputated leg and fixing
the bones of the right leg," Trauma Centre head MC Misra said.
"We will do the bone fixing of the right leg so that they can bear her body weight," he said.
The 23-year-old volleyball player lost her left leg after allegedly being pushed by robbers from a running train near Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh on April 11 and was shifted from a Lucknow hospital to AIIMS Trauma Centre on April 18
after she developed an infection in her amputated leg.
She underwent the first surgery when doctors put a
device in her amputated leg which included low intensity
suction pipes attached to a wound to drain out infected fluid.
Arunima has also got fractures in her spine and
suffered head injuries in the incident.
"For treatment of fracture in the spine," Dr Misra
said, "The only cure is complete bed rest."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30