Arunima to get treatment at AIIMS
Lucknow: National-level volleyball player
Arunima Sinha alias Sonu, who lost her leg after being pushed
out of a moving train on April 11, is being shifted to AIIMS
hospital after it was detected that her amputated left leg had
been infected and swollen.
"Arunima is being shifted to AIIMS, New Delhi for
better treatment. Her condition is stable," CSM medical
university Chief Medical Superintendent S N Shankhwar said.
The decision to shift Arunima comes immediately after
Union Sports Minister Ajay Maken met the athlete here this
"I have been informed by doctors that the condition of
the player is serious but stable. I have offered all the help
for her treatment, where ever her family wants, whether in
Lucknow or in New Delhi. The Sports Ministry will bear the
expenses for it," Maken told reporters.
"I have asked the officials of Sports Authority of
India (SAI) to visit the athlete in hospital and give their
report on her health to the ministry on a daily basis," the
23-year-old Arunima also a national level football
player, lost her leg after being pushed out of a moving train
by some robbers near Bareilly on the night of April 11 while
she was on her way to Gautam Buddha Nagar to appear in CISF
She was operated at Chattrapati Shahuji Maharaj
Medical University yesterday.
Arunima was brought to Lucknow from Bareilly district
hospital on Saturday after which it was detected that her
left leg had been infected.
The police has lodged an FIR under section 307
(attempt to murder) and 393 (attempt to robbery) against
Earlier during the day, the National Commission for
Women acting chairperson Yasmeen Abrar said, "Arunima should
be immediately shifted to AIIMS so that proper care can be
ensured for her. She was shifted to Lucknow but I think she
should be brought here. Government should do it as part of its
The family members, talking to media said that all of
them wanted Arunima to be moved to New Delhi for better
"There is a lot of difference in treatment here and in
AIIMS, New Delhi. We immediately want to shift her to New
Delhi," Arunima`s brother-in-law Om Prakash and sister Laxmi
Ahead of Maken`s visit, Uttar Pradesh`s Sports
Minister Ayodhya Pal Singh also met Arunima and offered
her a job in Sports Directorate or the Sports College.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say