Arunima to undergo another surgery on her amputated leg
New Delhi: Doctors at AIIMS treating
national-level volleyball player Arunima Sinha, on Tuesday said
they will conduct another two rounds of surgery in a few days
for infection reduction on her amputated leg before performing
operation for other injuries she has suffered.
"Since she has responded well to the treatment for the
infection in her amputated leg, we have decided to conduct
another two sittings of vacuum assisted closure (VAC) wound
therapy. Once the wound heals we will analyse the right leg,"
Trauma Centre head M C Misra said.
VAC therapy is a process in which a device, having low
intensity suction pipes, are attached to a wound to drain out
Yesterday Misra had said they will perform surgery for
her other injuries today.
23-year-old Arunima, who lost her left leg after being
pushed out by robbers from a running train near Bareilly in UP
on April 11, was shifted from a Lucknow hospital to AIIMS
Trauma Centre on April 18 after she developed an infection in
her amputated leg.
She had undergone two rounds of surgery last week for
reducing the bacterial load in the infected amputated leg.
Arunima had also got fractures on her right leg and
spine and suffered head injuries in the incident.
Misra said, "For treatment of fracture in the spine, the
only cure is complete bed rest. Once her wounds heal, we will
open the plaster of the right leg and see if the bone have
joined or not. If not joined we will conduct a surgery for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal