Arvind Kejriwal formally launches `Aam Aadmi Party`
New Delhi: The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), India`s newest political party, was Monday formally launched by activist Arvind Kejriwal in the presence of thousands of supporters.
"This party is result of our struggle against corruption," said Kejriwal, who had announced the name of his party on Saturday.
His colleague Manish Sisodia declared the name of the party to the gathering in central Delhi`s Jantar Mantar and said: "It is our party."
Sisodia also announced the names of the other 23 members of the national executive body. These include Sisodia himself as well as Prashant Bhushan, Dinesh Waghela, Sanjay Singh, Gopa Rai and Kumar Vishwas.
"Kejriwal takes the position as the national convenor. Pankaj Gupta would be the national secretary, Krishna Kanth would be national treasurer of AAP," Waghela said.
Earlier in the day, Kejriwal and his colleagues visited Mahatma Gandhi`s memorial Raj Ghat. He also paid tributes to BR Ambedkar.
Kejriwal`s chose to launch his party Nov 26 as the constitution of India was adopted on this day in 1949.
Kejriwal had said Sunday that he would "go to every village and town in the country for the next one year to convince people against the vote-bank politics of the Congress and the BJP". Both parties, he claimed, "used people only for votes".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air