Arvind Kejriwal formally launches `Aam Aadmi Party`
New Delhi: The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), India`s newest political party, was Monday formally launched by activist Arvind Kejriwal in the presence of thousands of supporters.
"This party is result of our struggle against corruption," said Kejriwal, who had announced the name of his party on Saturday.
His colleague Manish Sisodia declared the name of the party to the gathering in central Delhi`s Jantar Mantar and said: "It is our party."
Sisodia also announced the names of the other 23 members of the national executive body. These include Sisodia himself as well as Prashant Bhushan, Dinesh Waghela, Sanjay Singh, Gopa Rai and Kumar Vishwas.
"Kejriwal takes the position as the national convenor. Pankaj Gupta would be the national secretary, Krishna Kanth would be national treasurer of AAP," Waghela said.
Earlier in the day, Kejriwal and his colleagues visited Mahatma Gandhi`s memorial Raj Ghat. He also paid tributes to BR Ambedkar.
Kejriwal`s chose to launch his party Nov 26 as the constitution of India was adopted on this day in 1949.
Kejriwal had said Sunday that he would "go to every village and town in the country for the next one year to convince people against the vote-bank politics of the Congress and the BJP". Both parties, he claimed, "used people only for votes".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder