Arvind Kejriwal formally launches `Aam Aadmi Party`
New Delhi: The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), India`s newest political party, was Monday formally launched by activist Arvind Kejriwal in the presence of thousands of supporters.
"This party is result of our struggle against corruption," said Kejriwal, who had announced the name of his party on Saturday.
His colleague Manish Sisodia declared the name of the party to the gathering in central Delhi`s Jantar Mantar and said: "It is our party."
Sisodia also announced the names of the other 23 members of the national executive body. These include Sisodia himself as well as Prashant Bhushan, Dinesh Waghela, Sanjay Singh, Gopa Rai and Kumar Vishwas.
"Kejriwal takes the position as the national convenor. Pankaj Gupta would be the national secretary, Krishna Kanth would be national treasurer of AAP," Waghela said.
Earlier in the day, Kejriwal and his colleagues visited Mahatma Gandhi`s memorial Raj Ghat. He also paid tributes to BR Ambedkar.
Kejriwal`s chose to launch his party Nov 26 as the constitution of India was adopted on this day in 1949.
Kejriwal had said Sunday that he would "go to every village and town in the country for the next one year to convince people against the vote-bank politics of the Congress and the BJP". Both parties, he claimed, "used people only for votes".
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro
- Terror attack foiled in Saudi Arabia
- US puts Germany, China on watchlist for economic surpluses
- Heatwave grips east, central and peninsular India; many dead in Assam, Arunachal Pradesh due to cyclone, hailstorm