Arvind Kejriwal had to resign, it was not a matter of choice: Sheila Dikshit
New Delhi: Former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Saturday said Arvind Kejriwal had no option but to resign after losing majority on the floor of the Assembly and it was not a matter of choice for the Aam Aadmi Party leader who believes in "talking action" and not action.
"His (Kejriwal) government lost majority on the floor of the House, it is not a matter (of choice), so he quit," the 75-year-old Congress leader told PTI in an interview.
She also took a dig at Kejriwal saying the AAP leader had to (quit) because he had said he was not going to rule by the law.
She was responding to a query on Kejriwal`s decision to step down after he was prevented from tabling his dream Jan Lokpal bill in the Assembly yesterday in the face of stiff opposition from both Congress and BJP.
Dikshit made it clear that her party`s support was very "categorical". "Anything that is good for the city and its citizens, we will back you for it but it does not mean that tomorrow you will say that we will not listen what the Lt Governor says. We did not promise to support that," the three- term Chief Minister, who lost her own seat to Kejriwal by more than 25,000 votes in the Assembly polls last year, said.
Asked about the feeling among Kejriwal`s critics that he was all talk and no action, the Congress leader said, "He believed in talking action only" whether he believed in action is anybody`s guess.
She also contradicted Kejriwal`s remarks that she passed nearly 13 money bills without the permission of the Home Ministry. "We have never done anything which was against the procedure," Dikshit said.
Defending his decision of not sending the Jan Lokpal bill to Home Ministry for approval, Kejriwal had said, "I have a list of 13 legislations in which they (Dikshit government) did not take any approval.
"The legislations are held back in Home Ministry for six- seven years. If this is the case, then how can the assembly make law. Sheila Dikshit used to pass law before taking Centre`s approval."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand