Arvind Kejriwal party a foolish project: Jethmalani
New Delhi: Coming out in support of Anna Hazare, noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani on Thursday termed as "foolish project" the decision of Arvind Kejriwal-led group to form a party and urged the veteran activist to focus only on corruption.
In an open letter to Hazare, the Rajya Sabha MP also suggested Hazare to fight against candidates of Opposition parties who "do not have a spotlessly clean image" for integrity and selfless service of the nation.
"I have learnt with great disappointment, almost consternation, that some of your colleagues want to start a new political party. I mean no disrespect to anyone but this is a foolish project almost certain to perpetuate corruption and the regime of corrupt rulers.
"I almost suspect this move has been instigated by these whom you want to displace and destroy," Jethmalani said and assured his "cooperation and assistance at all limits" to Hazare. However, the lawyer did not take the name of Kejriwal.
Hazare and his supporters yesterday parted ways with the Kejriwal-led group who were pitching for the movement forming a party and fight elections.
Claiming that Hazare`s work was "much more important" than his "some success" in the fight against corrupt, the lawyer suggested that the activist should concentrate on the "single issue of corruption" and intensify struggle to tackle practisioners of graft.
"A new political party cannot have a one-point manifesto. People would like to know its views on other issues affecting every section of the electorate. You will only create confusion and invite ridicule," Jethmalani, who has filed a petition in Supreme Court on blackmoney issue, said.
He also said that Hazare should not succumb to the attraction of minority vote banks and he should tell minorities that he will support those parties who will honestly support the recommendations of the Sachar Committee report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray