Arvind Kejriwal will not call off fast: Kiran Bedi
New Delhi: Team Anna member Kiran Bedi on Thursday said that Arvind Kejriwal, the key aide of anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare, will not call off his fast.
Team Anna members, Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia and Gopal Rai, sat on their hunger strike on July 25.
In the meantime, doctors, who are attending Team Anna members, said on Thursday that Arvind has refused to take liquid diet.
On Wednesday, the Delhi police wrote to Team Anna, requesting them to get Arvind Kejriwal and two other fasting activists shifted to hospital.
But Kiran Bedi today refused to ask members to break their fast.
“I have already said they are here to sacrifice. Corruption in high places is policy and at low places is theft."
She also tweeted a list of 23 eminent citizens who urged Anna “to give up fast and offer instead a political alternative”.
Fearing forcible hospitalisation of the fasting activists, scores of Team Anna supporters kept vigil throughout the night at the protest venue.
The intervening night of August one and two saw around 300 supporters camping at the protest venue, where Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia and Gopal Rai were fasting, and keeping a watch on every step of policemen.
At 1 am, even the routine change of duty of police personnel was initially perceived by protesters as a sign of mobilisation to forcibly take Kejriwal and two others two hospital.
A volunteer immediately alerted others and as supporters started gathering, a senior police official informed them that it was change of duty of personnel and they were there not to take anybody to hospital.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez