Arvind Kejriwal will not call off fast: Kiran Bedi
New Delhi: Team Anna member Kiran Bedi on Thursday said that Arvind Kejriwal, the key aide of anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare, will not call off his fast.
Team Anna members, Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia and Gopal Rai, sat on their hunger strike on July 25.
In the meantime, doctors, who are attending Team Anna members, said on Thursday that Arvind has refused to take liquid diet.
On Wednesday, the Delhi police wrote to Team Anna, requesting them to get Arvind Kejriwal and two other fasting activists shifted to hospital.
But Kiran Bedi today refused to ask members to break their fast.
“I have already said they are here to sacrifice. Corruption in high places is policy and at low places is theft."
She also tweeted a list of 23 eminent citizens who urged Anna “to give up fast and offer instead a political alternative”.
Fearing forcible hospitalisation of the fasting activists, scores of Team Anna supporters kept vigil throughout the night at the protest venue.
The intervening night of August one and two saw around 300 supporters camping at the protest venue, where Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia and Gopal Rai were fasting, and keeping a watch on every step of policemen.
At 1 am, even the routine change of duty of police personnel was initially perceived by protesters as a sign of mobilisation to forcibly take Kejriwal and two others two hospital.
A volunteer immediately alerted others and as supporters started gathering, a senior police official informed them that it was change of duty of personnel and they were there not to take anybody to hospital.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster