Asaram Bapu and controversies
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: Under scanner for sexually assaulting a minor in his ashram in Jodhpur recently, the 72-year-old spiritual guru, Asaram Bapu, is not new to controversies and had faced serious troubles in the past too.
The self-styled godman, who enjoys a wide fan following across the country, has been embroiled in a string of controversies, including accusations of land grabbing, culpable homicide and attempt to murder, rape, practicing occult sciences and hurling abuses.
Given below are some controversies he had got embroiled in the past:
December 2009: The godman landed in serious trouble when a complaint was filed against him and his two close aides for allegedly attempting to murder a former follower of the religious guru in Ahmedabad.
The police complaint against Asaram was filed following an attack on his former follower Raju Chandak by two unknown persons in Ramnagar locality of Sabarmati on December 6 in 2009. In his complaint, Chandak had made Asaram the prime accused alleging that it was on his insistence that the two men fired at him while he was returning home on a motorcycle.
March 2010: This time, the self-styled godman was accused of illegally grabbing 67,099 square metre land belonging to the Gujarat government.
The state government claimed that his ashram in Ahmedabad had allegedly encroached upon 67,099 square metre land, which was later reclaimed from the spiritual guru.
September 2012: Asaram Bapu again courted a controversy when the Gujarat CID filed a chargesheet against seven office-bearers at his Ahmdabad Ashram in connection with the mysterious death of two boys there in 2008.
Abhishek Vaghela (11) and his cousin Dipesh Vaghela (10) went missing from a residential school of the Asaram Bapu’s Motrea Ashram in Ahmedabad in April 2008. Their decomposed bodies were later found from the banks of Sabarmati River near the Ashram.
The case was handed over to the CID in 2008 following a public outcry over the issue, which after a year of probing had filed a complaint of culpable homicide and booked seven office-bearers of the ashram.
December 2012: At a time when the brutal gang-rape of a young paramedical student by a group of six men on a moving bus in Delhi last year had shaken the collective conscience of the nation, Asaram Bapu faced sharp criticism for saying that the victim was also to be blamed for the incident and suggested that she should have begged the culprits to stop.
“Only five-six people are not the culprits. The girl is as guilty as her rapists… She should have called the culprits ‘brothers’ and begged before them to stop… This could have saved her dignity and life. Can one hand clap? I don’t think so,” he had said.
January 2013: The spiritual guru landed in fresh trouble after the Serious Fraud Investigating Office (SFIO) recommended his prosecution in a Rs 700-crore land grab case in Madhya Pradesh.
The case pertained to 200 acres of land in Ratlam. The land belonging to Jayant Vitamins Limited (JVL) is located on the Delhi-Pune freight corridor and was allegedly grabbed in 2000. Asaram’s followers had been using it since then.
February 2013: A month later, the godman made headlines following the mysterious death of a 24-year-old man Rahul Pachouri at his ashram in Jabalpur. In his complaint, Dileep Pachori, the victim’s father, alleged says his son was poisoned by the disciples of the `godman` during a ‘satsang’ held at Jabalpur.
However, Jabalpur police found no criminal involvement of Asaram and his disciples in the incident.
March 2013: In March this year, Asaram was criticised for allegedly wasting tones of water at a time when Maharashtra was facing worst-ever drought in over four decades.
Besides, the self-styled godman had also faced criticism for his erratic behavior and use of abusive language. He was caught in a controversy when he allegedly kicked a devotee who had come to seek his blessings in Vidisha earlier this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’