Asaram Bapu and `fanatic` followers should be arrested: JD(U)
New Delhi: Janata Dal (United) leader Shivanand Tiwari on Thursday demanded the arrest of self-styled godman Asaram Bapu and his `fanatic` followers, and said the protests outside JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav`s residence is a dangerous warning sign for Indian democracy.
"The government should go in with full force and all preparation. The reaction from his followers and the protests outside Sharad Yadav`s residence speak volumes. The government should go in with full force to arrest him and put him in jail," Tiwari said.
Commenting on protests outside Sharad Yadav`s residence, after the JD(U) chief made a statement in Parliament saying that there is no difference between the Mumbai gang-rape of a young photojournalist and the allegations leveled against Asaram Bapu and that both must be the same in the eyes of the law.
Tiwari said: "The protests held outside Sharad Yadav`s residence is a matter of concern and worry. These people are fanatic. When someone brings something up inside the House of Parliament and there are protests outside his residence-this is something new, it is a first. This is a dangerous trend setting in."
"I demand that the government takes strict action against whoever was protesting outside his residence, so that this does not become a trend. I am surprised that no one noticed this-neither the police nor the government. In one way, this is an attempt to put pressure on Parliament and gag them. This is the first time it`s happened. This shows what kind of people these are," he added.
The girl, who is 16 years of age and from Uttar Pradesh, had made a complaint at a police station in the national capital on August 20, accusing Asaram Bapu of sexually assaulting her at his ashram in Jodhpur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video