Asaram Bapu case: Defence alleges conspiracy to defame saints
Jodhpur: The defence in sexual assault case involving Asaram on Thursday argued before a local court that the self-styled godman was a victim of "international conspiracy" hatched to defame the saint community in India.
Defence lawyer Omkar Singh Lakhawat today started arguing the case after the prosecution completed its arguments yesterday in the District and Session court here.
"There is an international level conspiracy against the saint community in India and Asaram has been targeted as part of this vicious conspiracy as he was a very popular saint of the country," Lakhawat told the court here.
Lakhawat, who is also BJP`s state vice president, claimed Asaram was "innocent and has been implicated" in the case.
He also produced some documents before the court in support of his theory.
When asked if BJP wanted to defend Asaram, he said that he was a professional lawyer and has appeared as Asaram`s counsel.
"There was no political connotation in it. I am here just in a capacity of a lawyer, who has appeared in the court for his client," he said.
Yesterday, two BJP MLAs shared dais with some saints and supporters of Asaram here in an All India Saint Convention organised to start a movement in favour of Asaram.
Veteran lawyer Ram Jethmalani is already pleading Asaram case in the High Court, where the arguments on his bail application are in progress.
Asaram is charged with wrongful confinement and rape of a 16-year-old girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read