Asaram Bapu paying the price for opposing Sonia, Rahul: Uma Bharti
Zee Media Bureau/Kamna Arora
New Delhi: Defending Asaram Bapu who has been booked for sexual assault following a complaint from a minor girl, BJP vice president Uma Bharti on Thursday said that the spiritual leader is innocent.
On microblogging website Twitter, Bharti wrote that Asaram Bapu is paying the price for opposing Congress` president Sonia Gandhi and vice president Rahul Gandhi.
Assuring that "sant samaaj" is with Asaram, the former Madhya Pradesh chief minister said that farce cases have been filed against the spiritual leader in Congress-ruled states.
The case, though filed in Delhi, has been transferred to Rajasthan since the alleged incident took place at a Jodhpur ashram.
Meanwhile, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot said that appropriate action will be taken on the basis of the outcome of the investigation. "If there is any truth in this, then strict punishment must be meted out," said Gehlot.
The 16-year-old girl submitted a complaint against Asaram at the Kamala Market police station in central Delhi on Tuesday evening.
The complainant said the assault took place on August 15 at a Jodhpur ashram where the girl had gone for treatment.
"The girl was studying in a gurukul run by (Asaram Bapu) in Madhya Pradesh`s Chhindwara district for five years. As she was not feeling well, the gurukul staff told her to visit Bapu (Asaram)," said a Delhi police official.
Police said Asaram took the girl to a separate room on the pretext of treating her illness and sexually assaulted her.
Traumatised, the girl kept mum but finally broke down a couple of days later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh