Asaram Bapu, son summoned over children’s death
New Delhi: Asaram Bapu and his son Narayan Sai have been summoned by the DK Trivedi Commission which is probing the mysterious death of two boys in Bapu’s ashram in 2008.
The father-son duo will have to appear before the commission on March 25.
The commission was constituted in 2008 to probe the mysterious death of Dipesh Vaghela (10) and Abhishek Vaghela (11), after their decomposed bodies were found from the banks of Sabarmati River near Asaram Bapu`s ashram here. The boys were students at the ashram.
In October, 2009 former personal assistant of Narayan Sai had told the commission that he had seen Sai performing black magic.
Last year, the state CID department had submitted its report to the Gujarat High Court on the death of the two children.
However, Praful Vaghela, father of the deceased children - Dipak and Abhishek - had filed a petition in the high court requesting a CBI inquiry into the case alleging that CID was not investigating the case properly.
Abhishek and Dipak went missing from a residential school of the Asaram ashram in Ahmedabad in April 2008.
A few days later their mutilated bodies were found from the Sabarmati riverbed behind the ashram.
The issue kicked up a public furore that even led to violence. The parents have alleged that their children became guinea pigs in a `tantra sadhana` experiment in the ashram.
Following the public outcry, the case was handed over to the CID, which after a year of probing, filed a complaint of culpable homicide and booked seven sadhaks of the ashram.
The seven accused sadhaks, however, moved for anticipatory bail in the sessions court which was subsequently rejected.
The CID, in its report, has stated that Dipesh and Abhishek may have died because of drowning as per their post mortem examination report. However, the report mentioned that the accused had lied in their lie detection test about the ashram`s activities related to tantra sadhna and black magic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid
- Focus on defence, security as PM Modi meets Uzbek President
- President tells IIT, IISc-Bangalore and IISER scholars to make India great
- Accident blocks Delhi-Howrah rail route, two dozen trains diverted
- Israel says Abbas reviving old `blood libel` against Jews