Asaram fails to appear before Jodhpur police
Bhopal/Jodhpur: Self-styled godman Asaram Bapu may face arrest after he failed to present himself before Jodhpur police for questioning in a sex assault case with his son claiming that he was suddenly taken ill.
In Jodhpur, Rajasthan police said a team would be sent to Madhya Pradesh to interrogate 72-year-old Asaram who was issued summons to appear before the Jodhpur police by Friday.
In Ahmedabad, an application was moved on his behalf before the Gujarat High Court for transit anticipatory bail. Asaram`s counsel Sudhir Nanavati withdrew the bail plea after Justice A J Desai indicated that he was inclined to reject it.
Asaram is accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old schoolgirl and inmate of his ashram.
His son Narayan Sai claimed that his father had booked tickets for a flight to New Delhi this morning but his health suddenly deteriorated because of which the trip was cancelled.
Asked when Asaram plans to go to Jodhpur, Sai told reporters that it will all depend on the medical condition of his father.
Ajay Lamba, DCP, Jodhpur said,""Asaram has no justifiable reason to skip the deadline." A team led by the investigation officer will leave for Madhya Pradesh to question him, he said.
Asaram had said that if he is sent to jail, he would begin a fast as he did not trust the food which would be served to him as "part of a conspiracy".
This came after senior BJP leaders from Madhya Pradesh, Uma Bharti and Prabhat Jha had recently defended Asaram, terming rape charges against him as a "Congress conspiracy".
The controversial godman had yesterday accused Congress President Sonia Gandhi and son Rahul, without naming them, for getting him framed in the sexual assault controversy.
"I am not against any party but people tell me that it is at the instance of madam and her son that this is happening. For four-years-and-a-half those behind (religious) conversions are getting their support," Asaram had said in Bhopal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video