Asaram fails to appear before Jodhpur police
Bhopal/Jodhpur: Self-styled godman Asaram Bapu may face arrest after he failed to present himself before Jodhpur police for questioning in a sex assault case with his son claiming that he was suddenly taken ill.
In Jodhpur, Rajasthan police said a team would be sent to Madhya Pradesh to interrogate 72-year-old Asaram who was issued summons to appear before the Jodhpur police by Friday.
In Ahmedabad, an application was moved on his behalf before the Gujarat High Court for transit anticipatory bail. Asaram`s counsel Sudhir Nanavati withdrew the bail plea after Justice A J Desai indicated that he was inclined to reject it.
Asaram is accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old schoolgirl and inmate of his ashram.
His son Narayan Sai claimed that his father had booked tickets for a flight to New Delhi this morning but his health suddenly deteriorated because of which the trip was cancelled.
Asked when Asaram plans to go to Jodhpur, Sai told reporters that it will all depend on the medical condition of his father.
Ajay Lamba, DCP, Jodhpur said,""Asaram has no justifiable reason to skip the deadline." A team led by the investigation officer will leave for Madhya Pradesh to question him, he said.
Asaram had said that if he is sent to jail, he would begin a fast as he did not trust the food which would be served to him as "part of a conspiracy".
This came after senior BJP leaders from Madhya Pradesh, Uma Bharti and Prabhat Jha had recently defended Asaram, terming rape charges against him as a "Congress conspiracy".
The controversial godman had yesterday accused Congress President Sonia Gandhi and son Rahul, without naming them, for getting him framed in the sexual assault controversy.
"I am not against any party but people tell me that it is at the instance of madam and her son that this is happening. For four-years-and-a-half those behind (religious) conversions are getting their support," Asaram had said in Bhopal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Digvijay Singh seeks judicial probe into fake Batla House encounter
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against Arvind Kejriwal govt, Centre on May 28
- Watch video: Baby bison is attacked by a wolf – what happens next will give you goosebumps!
- Kejriwal gives one week deadline to discoms to solve outages problem
- French Open 2016: Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray through as Angelique Kerber exits