Asaram`s ashram made certain violations on central ridge: Govt
New Delhi: An official committee has found that the ashram of controversial godman Asaram Bapu on the ecologically sensitive central ridge of Delhi has made "certain violations", Lok Sabha was informed today.
In a written reply, Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar said Principal Bench of the National Green Tribunal (NGT) had asked the government to constitute a committee comprising the Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forests, representatives of the Environment Ministry and the Ridge Management Board to inspect part of central ridge area.
The committee was asked to comment on whether any excess area was occupied by Asaram Ashram Trust.
The total area is indicated as 4,312 sq yard along with the approach path of 350ft approximately in all. The NGT had also asked the panel to comment on whether any construction was made recently.
"The Committee ...Inspected the site of Asaram Ashram Trust in Central Ridge area and has submitted the report. The Committee found certain violations," Javadekar said.
He said out of a total of 864 hectare land notified as Central Ridge, 423 hectare area is under the administrative control of the Delhi Government`s Forest Department.
The Minister said there was no encroachment reported in the area under the administrative control of the Delhi Government`s Forest Department.
A petition before the NGT had alleged that Asaram`s trust has illegally constructed an `ashram` and other structures in the Central Ridge despite a notification issued by the Delhi Government in May 1994 declaring the Ridge as "reserved forest" in terms of the provisions of the Indian Forest Act.
72-year-old Asaram Bapu is languishing in a jail in Rajasthan facing trial in rape cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced