Asaram`s comparison with Guru Nanak angers Sikhs, case filed
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In fresh trouble for controversial godman Asaram Bapu, who is facing rape charges following a complaint of sexual assault by a minor in Jodhpur, a case has been filed against his ashram and close aides for comparing him to first Sikh saint, Guru Nanak Dev.
Reports on Monday said that the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Committee (DSGMC) had filed a complaint against Asaram`s trust and media adviser Neelam Dubey for comparing him to Guru Nanak Dev.
A similar complaint has also been filed against the controversial godman`s media advisor in Punjab by the Shiromani Gurudwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC).
Asaram`s media adviser Neelam Dubey invited the ire of the Sikh community after she said, "similar saints like Guru Nanak Dev also faced such allegations of rape as well" during a TV show.
In view of the complaint filed by the Sikh religious bodies, Delhi Police have also obtained the video footage of the show.
DCP (New Delhi) SBS Tyagi said that neither the Asaram trust or the godman has apologised or withdrawn their comments.
Last week, a 16-year-old girl gave a complaint to Delhi Police accusing the spiritual leader of sexually assaulting her at his ashram in Rajasthan`s Jodhpur. The complaint was later forwarded to Rajasthan Police for investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband