Asaram`s followers protest in Delhi
New Delhi: Followers of Asaram Bapu on Sunday staged demonstration outside the IGI Airport here and later gathered at Jantar Mantar to protest against the arrest of the self-styled godman for allegedly assaulting a 16-year-old girl at his ashram.
Asaram`s supporters, including women, claimed he has been framed in the rape case and accused media of not showing the truth.
Police said around 1,000 to 1,200 supporters of Asaram, mostly women, gathered at Jantar Mantar.
Shouting slogans against the police and media, the demonstrators tried to march towards Parliament.
"We stopped the demonstrators with barricades. Some of them who tried to break the barricades were detained. However, they were released later," said a police official.
Earlier, at Terminal 3 of the Indira Gandhi International Airport here, Asaram`s followers shouted slogan in his support when his flight from Indore landed.
The supporters gathered at Gate number 1 and chanted pro- Asaram slogans. They also shouted slogans against the media, airport sources said.
A number of police personnel were deployed at the airport to prevent any untoward incident or any attack on media.
The supporters stayed there for about two hours. They sat outside Gate 1 of Terminal 3 and start singing bhajan. They refused to leave when security guards asked them to vacate the area.
They left only after the flight carrying Asaram took off for Jodhpur at around 11 AM, police added.
72-year-old Asaram was arrested by the Jodhpur Police from his ashram in Indore after midnight amid high drama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic