Asaram`s followers protest in Delhi
New Delhi: Followers of Asaram Bapu on Sunday staged demonstration outside the IGI Airport here and later gathered at Jantar Mantar to protest against the arrest of the self-styled godman for allegedly assaulting a 16-year-old girl at his ashram.
Asaram`s supporters, including women, claimed he has been framed in the rape case and accused media of not showing the truth.
Police said around 1,000 to 1,200 supporters of Asaram, mostly women, gathered at Jantar Mantar.
Shouting slogans against the police and media, the demonstrators tried to march towards Parliament.
"We stopped the demonstrators with barricades. Some of them who tried to break the barricades were detained. However, they were released later," said a police official.
Earlier, at Terminal 3 of the Indira Gandhi International Airport here, Asaram`s followers shouted slogan in his support when his flight from Indore landed.
The supporters gathered at Gate number 1 and chanted pro- Asaram slogans. They also shouted slogans against the media, airport sources said.
A number of police personnel were deployed at the airport to prevent any untoward incident or any attack on media.
The supporters stayed there for about two hours. They sat outside Gate 1 of Terminal 3 and start singing bhajan. They refused to leave when security guards asked them to vacate the area.
They left only after the flight carrying Asaram took off for Jodhpur at around 11 AM, police added.
72-year-old Asaram was arrested by the Jodhpur Police from his ashram in Indore after midnight amid high drama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal