`ASEAN key part of India`s Look East policy`
New Delhi: Partnership with Asean is an essential component of India`s "Look East policy", Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Thursday before leaving for Bali to attend the 9th India-Asean Summit as well as the 6th East Asia Summit.
The Prime Minister, who will also be going to Singapore for two-day bilateral visit, said that the East Asia Summit is the principal forum to device an "open and inclusive architecture of regional cooperation in the Asia-Pacific region".
"Increasingly, political and security issues are becoming part of the East Asia Summit agenda. There are concerns among the countries of the region over issues relating to disaster management, maritime security, terrorism and other non-traditional threat to security," he said.
Stating that Singapore was a key partner for India, Manmohan Singh said: "India`s Look East policy started with our engagement with Singapore and that country has been among strong advocates of greater cooperation between South East Asia and India."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest