Aseem Trivedi case: Current times worse than emergency, says Advani
New Delhi: Extending support to jailed cartoonist Aseem Trivedi, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Lal Krishna Advani on Wednesday lashed out the present government, wondering if the current political set up was "worse even than the emergency".
Advani, in a blog post, said he has "always regarded the emergency period 1975-77 as the worst in so far as suppression of civil liberties and freedom of expression were concerned".
"But seeing what has happened to political cartoonist and anti-corruption crusader Aseem Trivedi, I have started wondering: Is today`s political set up worse even than the emergency?"
On Tuesday, the Bombay High Court granted bail to Trivedi but he refused to be freed till the sedition charge against him was dropped.
Trivedi was arrested last Saturday by Mumbai police which charged him, among other things, with sedition for insulting national emblems and the constitution during the anti-corruption movement led by Anna Hazare here December 2011.
India Against Corruption (IAC) member Arvind Kejriwal on Tuesday threatened to sit on a protest outside the prison where cartoonist Aseem Trivedi has been jailed if all charges against him are not dropped.
Advani said the "draconian mindset of the present rulers is born out of failure and desperation".
"…Dictatorships cannot afford laughter because people may laugh at the dictator, and that would not do. In all the years of Hitler, there never was a good comedy, not a good cartoon, not a parody, not a spoof." he said.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?