Aseemanand denies role in Samjhauta train blasts
Panchkula: Hindu activist Swami Aseemanand on Thursday told a court here that he had no hand in the 2007 Samjhauta Express train bombing that killed 68 people, mainly Pakistanis.
Aseemanand told that district and sessions judge here that he had not made any statement to the National Investigating Agency (NIA) about his supposed involvement in the bomb attack.
Speaking through his counsel, he accused the NIA of torturing and pressurising him mentally and physically to extort a statement from him.
The court rejected Assemanand`s bail plea on technical grounds, saying the NIA had failed to file a chargesheet in court within 90 days.
The court extended his custody till the next date of hearing May 26.
Aseemanand, a member of Hindu group Abhinav Bharat, was arrested earlier for the 2007 Mecca Masjid bombing in Hyderabad that left 14 people dead.
The NIA questioned Aseemanand about his role in the Samjhauta Express -- which plies between India and Pakistan -- blast in Diwana village near the city of Panipat, 160 km from here, in Haryana.
Aseemanand was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation Nov 19 last year from Haridwar in Uttarakhand for his alleged role in the Mecca Masjid blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Good news! Dimpy Ganguly welcomes baby Reanna with blizzards of kisses and hugs - See pic
- Harmanpreet Kaur Bhullar becomes first India Women's cricketer to be signed by overseas T20 team
- Indian politicians funded Hillary Clinton for Indo-US civil nuclear deal: Donald Trump
- In two years Tripura-Assam border with Bangladesh to be totally sealed: Secretary BM
- PM Modi to launch Smart City projects in Pune today