Aseemanand`s NIA custody extended till Jan 13
Panchkula (Haryana): A court here on Monday remanded right-wing Hindu group Abhinav Bharat member Swami Aseemanand, allegedly involved in 2007 Samjhauta Express train blast, to the custody of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) for 10 more days.
The NIA had last month brought Aseemanand, also accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad, from Hyderabad and produced him in a court here on December 23 which first remanded him in one-day custody of NIA as the judge of the designated court was on leave that day.
After expiry of his one-day custody on December 24, he was produced in the court of NIA Special Judge Ritu Garg who had further remanded him to NIA`s custody till today.
The hearing in the case took place in-camera in the court of Ritu Garg as NIA had earlier moved an application in this regard keeping in view the "sensitivity" of the case.
The NIA, which had recently sought the production warrant of Aseemanand from a court here, sought further remand of the Swami to extensively question him over his role in the Samjhauta train blast.
The Samjhauta blast in Haryana`s Panipat district left 68 people dead in February 2007.
Aseemanand was arrested by Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on November 19 for his alleged involvement in Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad that left nine people dead.
He was earlier living under a fake identity in Haridwar and had also procured fake identity cards.
A post-graduate in Botany, Aseemanand, whose real name is Jatin Chatterjee, is a resident of Hooghly in West Bengal and came to the tribal-dominated Dangs in south Gujarat in late 1990s.
His name had also come up during the probe in Malegaon blast of 2008 when Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad recovered the number of the Swami`s driver from Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, another Abhinav Bharat member and an accused arrested in the Malegaon blast case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan