Aseemanand`s NIA custody extended till Jan 13
Panchkula (Haryana): A court here on Monday remanded right-wing Hindu group Abhinav Bharat member Swami Aseemanand, allegedly involved in 2007 Samjhauta Express train blast, to the custody of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) for 10 more days.
The NIA had last month brought Aseemanand, also accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad, from Hyderabad and produced him in a court here on December 23 which first remanded him in one-day custody of NIA as the judge of the designated court was on leave that day.
After expiry of his one-day custody on December 24, he was produced in the court of NIA Special Judge Ritu Garg who had further remanded him to NIA`s custody till today.
The hearing in the case took place in-camera in the court of Ritu Garg as NIA had earlier moved an application in this regard keeping in view the "sensitivity" of the case.
The NIA, which had recently sought the production warrant of Aseemanand from a court here, sought further remand of the Swami to extensively question him over his role in the Samjhauta train blast.
The Samjhauta blast in Haryana`s Panipat district left 68 people dead in February 2007.
Aseemanand was arrested by Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on November 19 for his alleged involvement in Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad that left nine people dead.
He was earlier living under a fake identity in Haridwar and had also procured fake identity cards.
A post-graduate in Botany, Aseemanand, whose real name is Jatin Chatterjee, is a resident of Hooghly in West Bengal and came to the tribal-dominated Dangs in south Gujarat in late 1990s.
His name had also come up during the probe in Malegaon blast of 2008 when Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad recovered the number of the Swami`s driver from Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, another Abhinav Bharat member and an accused arrested in the Malegaon blast case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India