Aseemanand`s statement recorded
Panchkula (Haryana): Swami Aseemanand, a radical Hindu activist, was Saturday presented before the chief judicial magistrate (CJM) here to record his statement in connection with the 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts case.
He remained inside the court for nearly five hours.
Aseemanand, who was sent to judicial custody Thursday and lodged in Ambala jail, was taken to the court of CJM Rakesh Singh around 12.15 p.m. and came out around 5 p.m.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) Thursday moved a petition to record Aseemanand`s statement before a magistrate. The proceedings were held in-camera and no mediaperson was allowed to enter the court.
However, Aseemanand`s lawyer said that his client was under pressure.
"I had talked to Aseemanand on Thursday and he told me that he was under pressure. He has recorded the statements before the magistrate after succumbing to pressure. He will disclose the reason behind this pressure during the defence and cross-examination," said Manveer Singh Rathi, lawyer of Aseemanand, while talking to reporters.
Aseemanand, a member of the right-wing Hindu group Abhinav Bharat, was brought here from Hyderabad Dec 23 for his alleged involvement in the Samjhauta Express bombing. He is also an accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad in which 14 people were killed.
The NIA is questioning Aseemanand about his role in the Samjhauta Express blasts Feb 18, 2007, at Diwana village near the industrial town of Panipat, 160 km from here, in Haryana.
The bombing, which killed 68 people, took place in two bogies of the Samjhauta Express, a peace train between India and Pakistan. A majority of the 68 victims were Pakistani nationals.
The train was going from Delhi to Attari, the last station on the Indian side. The passengers were to board the Samjhauta Express train to Lahore city in Pakistan the next day (Feb 19).
Aseemanand was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation Nov 19 last year from Haridwar in Uttarakhand for his alleged role in the Mecca Masjid blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow