ASG writes to AG on coal scam probe, claims he being made a ‘scapegoat’
New Delhi: As a controversy raged over whether the government tried to influence CBI`s probe into the coal scam, Additional Solicitor General Harin Raval is believed to have claimed that he has been made a "scapegoat" in the matter.
Sources said on Monday night that Raval made the claim in a letter to Attorney General G E Vahanvati in which he is reported to have accused the latter of trying to interfere in CBI`s probe report.
The accusation by Raval came ahead of a crucial Supreme Court hearing tomorrow when it takes on record CBI Director Ranjit Sinha`s affidavit and the agency`s status report on the coal blocks allocation probe that was shared with Law Minister Ashwani Kumar and Joint Secretary-level officials of the Prime Minister`s Office(PMO) and Coal ministry.
Raval, whose submission to the apex court while appearing for CBI was contradicted by Sinha`s affidavit, claimed that Vahanvati was involved in the stand to be taken by the CBI and that he was being made a "scapegoat".
Raval had submitted that the status report on the agency`s probe into irregularities in coal allocation handed over to judges in a sealed cover, has not been shared with anyone in the government.
CBI is since using the services of private lawyer U Lalit after Raval made the submission.
In an embarrassing admission, the CBI Director had last week filed an affidavit in the apex court saying that its draft status report on coal allocation scam was shared with the Law Minister and Joint-Secretary level officials of the PMO and Coal ministry.
The two-page affidavit was filed after the Supreme Court asked the CBI chief to state in writing that the documents had not been seen by anybody from the "political executive."
BJP`s national spokesman Ravishankar Prasad said he was "saddened" over the turn of the events involving the government`s top law officers.
He accused the government of colluding in the wilful misrepresentation of facts before the apex court.
CPI leader D Raja said the coalscam probe is getting murkier by the day. "There is no accountability, no transparency," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested