Ashamed of belonging to bureaucracy, says Aiyar
New Delhi: Citing former Prime Minister
Rajiv Gandhi`s observation that only 15 paise of a rupee
reached the deserving, Congress member Mani Shankar Aiyar
on Wednesday said he was "ashamed" of belonging to the bureaucracy
which was responsible for the situation.
"I am ashamed of belonging to the bureaucracy. If we see
them (bureaucracy) from the point of view Rajiv Gandhi`s
statement," Aiyar said in Rajya Sabha during a debate on the
Appropriation Bill, 2011.
When his party colleague P J Kurien asked if he was
serious in saying that he was ashamed of belonging to the
bureaucracy, he emphatically said, "Yes, I am considering a
statement of Rajiv Gandhi."
He made the comment in the presence of Finance Minister
Aiyar was an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer before
joining politics and had served in Indian missions abroad.
Known to be a close aide of Rajiv Gandhi, he also served
as union minister in different Congress governments.
Aiyar made the statement in context of the fruits of
development not reaching grassroots level particularly in
Naxal-infested areas of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you