Ashamed of belonging to bureaucracy, says Aiyar
New Delhi: Citing former Prime Minister
Rajiv Gandhi`s observation that only 15 paise of a rupee
reached the deserving, Congress member Mani Shankar Aiyar
on Wednesday said he was "ashamed" of belonging to the bureaucracy
which was responsible for the situation.
"I am ashamed of belonging to the bureaucracy. If we see
them (bureaucracy) from the point of view Rajiv Gandhi`s
statement," Aiyar said in Rajya Sabha during a debate on the
Appropriation Bill, 2011.
When his party colleague P J Kurien asked if he was
serious in saying that he was ashamed of belonging to the
bureaucracy, he emphatically said, "Yes, I am considering a
statement of Rajiv Gandhi."
He made the comment in the presence of Finance Minister
Aiyar was an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer before
joining politics and had served in Indian missions abroad.
Known to be a close aide of Rajiv Gandhi, he also served
as union minister in different Congress governments.
Aiyar made the statement in context of the fruits of
development not reaching grassroots level particularly in
Naxal-infested areas of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America