Ashamed of belonging to bureaucracy, says Aiyar
New Delhi: Citing former Prime Minister
Rajiv Gandhi`s observation that only 15 paise of a rupee
reached the deserving, Congress member Mani Shankar Aiyar
on Wednesday said he was "ashamed" of belonging to the bureaucracy
which was responsible for the situation.
"I am ashamed of belonging to the bureaucracy. If we see
them (bureaucracy) from the point of view Rajiv Gandhi`s
statement," Aiyar said in Rajya Sabha during a debate on the
Appropriation Bill, 2011.
When his party colleague P J Kurien asked if he was
serious in saying that he was ashamed of belonging to the
bureaucracy, he emphatically said, "Yes, I am considering a
statement of Rajiv Gandhi."
He made the comment in the presence of Finance Minister
Aiyar was an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer before
joining politics and had served in Indian missions abroad.
Known to be a close aide of Rajiv Gandhi, he also served
as union minister in different Congress governments.
Aiyar made the statement in context of the fruits of
development not reaching grassroots level particularly in
Naxal-infested areas of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India