Ashis Nandy should be arrested immediately: Mayawati
New Delhi: BSP chief Mayawati on Saturday demanded that Rajasthan government should immediately send author Ashis Nandy to jail over his controversial remarks at Jaipur Literary Festival that "most corrupt people come from OBC, SC and ST communities".
Speaking at a panel discussion in Jaipur, Nandy stoked a major row with his comments that people belonging to OBC, SC and ST communities were the "most corrupt".
Calling Nandy`s remarks as "farthest from truth, condemnable, unfortunate and reflective of a casteist mindset", Mayawati said Nandy should immediately tender an apology.
"He should seek an apology from these sections of the population immediately and our party strongly condemns it. Our party also demands that Rajasthan government should immediately file a case under the SC/ST Act and other stringent sections and send him to jail," Mayawati told reporters here referring to Nandy`s remark.
"Otherwise, people could even be compelled to get out on the roads in protest against these remarks," she added.
Mayawati said the comments by Nandy seemed to have been made under a "well thought-out scheme to defame these sections".
The BSP chief also asked the organisers of the Jaipur Literary Festival to expel Nandy from the event.
When one of the reporters asked Mayawati about the next step that she intended to take in the matter, the BSP supremo said "we are watching the response of Rajasthan government and whether the organisers have expelled Nandy. And in what manner Nandy seeks an apology, we will take that also with seriousness before taking any step," she said.
To a question about certain remarks he attributed to UP minister Azam Khan asking girls not to become like Mayawati, she said Azam Khan was known to make various kinds of remarks but she did not take them seriously.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing