Ashis Nandy should be arrested immediately: Mayawati
New Delhi: BSP chief Mayawati on Saturday demanded that Rajasthan government should immediately send author Ashis Nandy to jail over his controversial remarks at Jaipur Literary Festival that "most corrupt people come from OBC, SC and ST communities".
Speaking at a panel discussion in Jaipur, Nandy stoked a major row with his comments that people belonging to OBC, SC and ST communities were the "most corrupt".
Calling Nandy`s remarks as "farthest from truth, condemnable, unfortunate and reflective of a casteist mindset", Mayawati said Nandy should immediately tender an apology.
"He should seek an apology from these sections of the population immediately and our party strongly condemns it. Our party also demands that Rajasthan government should immediately file a case under the SC/ST Act and other stringent sections and send him to jail," Mayawati told reporters here referring to Nandy`s remark.
"Otherwise, people could even be compelled to get out on the roads in protest against these remarks," she added.
Mayawati said the comments by Nandy seemed to have been made under a "well thought-out scheme to defame these sections".
The BSP chief also asked the organisers of the Jaipur Literary Festival to expel Nandy from the event.
When one of the reporters asked Mayawati about the next step that she intended to take in the matter, the BSP supremo said "we are watching the response of Rajasthan government and whether the organisers have expelled Nandy. And in what manner Nandy seeks an apology, we will take that also with seriousness before taking any step," she said.
To a question about certain remarks he attributed to UP minister Azam Khan asking girls not to become like Mayawati, she said Azam Khan was known to make various kinds of remarks but she did not take them seriously.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'