Ashis Nandy should be arrested immediately: Mayawati
New Delhi: BSP chief Mayawati on Saturday demanded that Rajasthan government should immediately send author Ashis Nandy to jail over his controversial remarks at Jaipur Literary Festival that "most corrupt people come from OBC, SC and ST communities".
Speaking at a panel discussion in Jaipur, Nandy stoked a major row with his comments that people belonging to OBC, SC and ST communities were the "most corrupt".
Calling Nandy`s remarks as "farthest from truth, condemnable, unfortunate and reflective of a casteist mindset", Mayawati said Nandy should immediately tender an apology.
"He should seek an apology from these sections of the population immediately and our party strongly condemns it. Our party also demands that Rajasthan government should immediately file a case under the SC/ST Act and other stringent sections and send him to jail," Mayawati told reporters here referring to Nandy`s remark.
"Otherwise, people could even be compelled to get out on the roads in protest against these remarks," she added.
Mayawati said the comments by Nandy seemed to have been made under a "well thought-out scheme to defame these sections".
The BSP chief also asked the organisers of the Jaipur Literary Festival to expel Nandy from the event.
When one of the reporters asked Mayawati about the next step that she intended to take in the matter, the BSP supremo said "we are watching the response of Rajasthan government and whether the organisers have expelled Nandy. And in what manner Nandy seeks an apology, we will take that also with seriousness before taking any step," she said.
To a question about certain remarks he attributed to UP minister Azam Khan asking girls not to become like Mayawati, she said Azam Khan was known to make various kinds of remarks but she did not take them seriously.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'