Ashis Nandy should be arrested immediately: Mayawati
New Delhi: BSP chief Mayawati on Saturday demanded that Rajasthan government should immediately send author Ashis Nandy to jail over his controversial remarks at Jaipur Literary Festival that "most corrupt people come from OBC, SC and ST communities".
Speaking at a panel discussion in Jaipur, Nandy stoked a major row with his comments that people belonging to OBC, SC and ST communities were the "most corrupt".
Calling Nandy`s remarks as "farthest from truth, condemnable, unfortunate and reflective of a casteist mindset", Mayawati said Nandy should immediately tender an apology.
"He should seek an apology from these sections of the population immediately and our party strongly condemns it. Our party also demands that Rajasthan government should immediately file a case under the SC/ST Act and other stringent sections and send him to jail," Mayawati told reporters here referring to Nandy`s remark.
"Otherwise, people could even be compelled to get out on the roads in protest against these remarks," she added.
Mayawati said the comments by Nandy seemed to have been made under a "well thought-out scheme to defame these sections".
The BSP chief also asked the organisers of the Jaipur Literary Festival to expel Nandy from the event.
When one of the reporters asked Mayawati about the next step that she intended to take in the matter, the BSP supremo said "we are watching the response of Rajasthan government and whether the organisers have expelled Nandy. And in what manner Nandy seeks an apology, we will take that also with seriousness before taking any step," she said.
To a question about certain remarks he attributed to UP minister Azam Khan asking girls not to become like Mayawati, she said Azam Khan was known to make various kinds of remarks but she did not take them seriously.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai