Ashis Nandy to be questioned over anti-Dalit remarks
New Delhi: The Rajasthan Police will question sociologist Ashis Nandy over his anti-Dalit remarks in Delhi on Wednesday.
Rajpal Meena, Chairperson of the SC/ST Rajasthan Manch, lodged an FIR against Nandy and Roy last Saturday, after Nandy stoked a controversy with his comments.
Jaipur Police issued a notice to Nandy asking him to appear before it in connection with his controversial remarks against Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes at the Jaipur Literature Festival on Saturday.
Asserting that he has worked for Dalits, OBCs and adivasis for 45 years of his life, sociologist Nandy, who stoked a controversy with his comments at the Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF), on Tuesday said that he was ready to go to jail if tried under the Atrocities Act and convicted.
"It is a non-bailable warrant I am told under this act. And, if at the age of 75, I am tried under the Atrocities Act and convicted, I will go to jail, I will not contest it. I will go to jail because I have worked for Dalits, OBCs and Adivasis for 45 years of my life, and I am not going to take this insult quietly, in the sense that I will oppose it and try to subvert it. I will go to jail," he said, when asked about his future course of action if issued summons by Rajasthan Police.
Nandy, however, said that he has not received the summons as yet.
"I have only heard that an FIR has been lodged against me. When I get that FIR, when I get that summons I shall respond to that, I shall go there," he added.
An FIR was lodged against him under Section 506 IPC (Criminal Intimidation) and the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
Jaipur Literature Festival producer Sanjoy Roy is also likely to be questioned by the police. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees