Ashis Nandy to be questioned over anti-Dalit remarks
New Delhi: The Rajasthan Police will question sociologist Ashis Nandy over his anti-Dalit remarks in Delhi on Wednesday.
Rajpal Meena, Chairperson of the SC/ST Rajasthan Manch, lodged an FIR against Nandy and Roy last Saturday, after Nandy stoked a controversy with his comments.
Jaipur Police issued a notice to Nandy asking him to appear before it in connection with his controversial remarks against Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes at the Jaipur Literature Festival on Saturday.
Asserting that he has worked for Dalits, OBCs and adivasis for 45 years of his life, sociologist Nandy, who stoked a controversy with his comments at the Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF), on Tuesday said that he was ready to go to jail if tried under the Atrocities Act and convicted.
"It is a non-bailable warrant I am told under this act. And, if at the age of 75, I am tried under the Atrocities Act and convicted, I will go to jail, I will not contest it. I will go to jail because I have worked for Dalits, OBCs and Adivasis for 45 years of my life, and I am not going to take this insult quietly, in the sense that I will oppose it and try to subvert it. I will go to jail," he said, when asked about his future course of action if issued summons by Rajasthan Police.
Nandy, however, said that he has not received the summons as yet.
"I have only heard that an FIR has been lodged against me. When I get that FIR, when I get that summons I shall respond to that, I shall go there," he added.
An FIR was lodged against him under Section 506 IPC (Criminal Intimidation) and the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
Jaipur Literature Festival producer Sanjoy Roy is also likely to be questioned by the police. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday