Ashok Chavan stakes claim to form Maharashtra govt
New Delhi: After a 15-day long wait, Maharashtra chief minister-elect Ashok Chavan Friday staked formal claim to forming the new government with the support of 170 legislators.
The swearing-in ceremony of the new Democratic Front government will be held here Saturday evening.
Chavan, along with deputy chief minister-designate Chhagan Bhujbal and top office-bearers of both Congress and Nationalist Congress Party met Governor S.C. Jamir at the Raj Bhavan and submitted the letters of support of 170 legislators.
These include 82 of Congress, 62 of the NCP, and the rest independents and other smaller parties in the 288-member house, an office-bearer said.
Earlier in the day Chavan held discussions with Congress President Sonia
Gandhi, a day after the party sealed a deal with ally NCP to
form government in the state.
Chavan is understood to have discussed allocation of
portfolios at the meeting where senior Congress leaders A K
Antony and Ahmad Patel were also present.
Congress and NCP announced last night that they had
reached an agreement on power sharing and a new government is
likely to be sworn in tomorrow.
NCP is expected to retain the key portfolios of Home,
Finance, Power and Rural Development while Congress could be
getting Public Health.
As government formation was delayed after declaration
of assembly poll results on October 23 due to hard
negotiations between Congress and NCP over portfolio-sharing,
Jamir had nudged both the parties to show a sense
of urgency to put in place a government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested