Ashok Chavan stakes claim to form Maharashtra govt
New Delhi: After a 15-day long wait, Maharashtra chief minister-elect Ashok Chavan Friday staked formal claim to forming the new government with the support of 170 legislators.
The swearing-in ceremony of the new Democratic Front government will be held here Saturday evening.
Chavan, along with deputy chief minister-designate Chhagan Bhujbal and top office-bearers of both Congress and Nationalist Congress Party met Governor S.C. Jamir at the Raj Bhavan and submitted the letters of support of 170 legislators.
These include 82 of Congress, 62 of the NCP, and the rest independents and other smaller parties in the 288-member house, an office-bearer said.
Earlier in the day Chavan held discussions with Congress President Sonia
Gandhi, a day after the party sealed a deal with ally NCP to
form government in the state.
Chavan is understood to have discussed allocation of
portfolios at the meeting where senior Congress leaders A K
Antony and Ahmad Patel were also present.
Congress and NCP announced last night that they had
reached an agreement on power sharing and a new government is
likely to be sworn in tomorrow.
NCP is expected to retain the key portfolios of Home,
Finance, Power and Rural Development while Congress could be
getting Public Health.
As government formation was delayed after declaration
of assembly poll results on October 23 due to hard
negotiations between Congress and NCP over portfolio-sharing,
Jamir had nudged both the parties to show a sense
of urgency to put in place a government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill