Ashok Chavan stakes claim to form Maharashtra govt
New Delhi: After a 15-day long wait, Maharashtra chief minister-elect Ashok Chavan Friday staked formal claim to forming the new government with the support of 170 legislators.
The swearing-in ceremony of the new Democratic Front government will be held here Saturday evening.
Chavan, along with deputy chief minister-designate Chhagan Bhujbal and top office-bearers of both Congress and Nationalist Congress Party met Governor S.C. Jamir at the Raj Bhavan and submitted the letters of support of 170 legislators.
These include 82 of Congress, 62 of the NCP, and the rest independents and other smaller parties in the 288-member house, an office-bearer said.
Earlier in the day Chavan held discussions with Congress President Sonia
Gandhi, a day after the party sealed a deal with ally NCP to
form government in the state.
Chavan is understood to have discussed allocation of
portfolios at the meeting where senior Congress leaders A K
Antony and Ahmad Patel were also present.
Congress and NCP announced last night that they had
reached an agreement on power sharing and a new government is
likely to be sworn in tomorrow.
NCP is expected to retain the key portfolios of Home,
Finance, Power and Rural Development while Congress could be
getting Public Health.
As government formation was delayed after declaration
of assembly poll results on October 23 due to hard
negotiations between Congress and NCP over portfolio-sharing,
Jamir had nudged both the parties to show a sense
of urgency to put in place a government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'