Ashwani Kumar made PM`s special envoy to Japan
New Delhi: Former law minister Ashwani Kumar, who had to quit in May for allegedly interfering in a CBI probe in coal blocks allocation, was Thursday appointed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s special envoy to Japan.
A statement said that Ashwani Kumar has been appointed special envoy with the rank and privileges of a cabinet minister.
The official note said that the prime minister has nominated him "to visit for up to seven days as PM`s special envoy for that period (in the rank and with the privileges of a cabinet minister) to maintain the momentum of high-level exchanges with Japan and to prepare for the upcoming visit of Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress of Japan and the Prime Minister of Japan to India".
Ashwani Kumar had quit May 10 for allegedly interfering in a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe in coal blocks allocation.
The Supreme Court had come down heavily on the CBI for allowing the law ministry to vet the draft of its probe report on the coal allocation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug