ASI allowed to demolish illegal structure near Jama Masjid
New Delhi: Giving a slew of directions, the Delhi High Court on Monday permitted the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) to demolish "illegal constructions" at a site near Jama Masjid to ascertain whether remains of a Mughal-era structure existed.
The court also directed the police to take legal action against "miscreants" who had damaged public property despite its restraint order on July 20.
In an interim order today, a full bench headed by Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri asked the ASI to implement its July 19 notice.
The ASI had asked the North Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) to remove the "illegal constructions" as it fell within the regulated area of centrally protected monuments of Red Fort and Sunehri Masjid.
"The stand of the ASI is unequivocally reflected in its notice dated July 19, 2012 with which MCD (now NDMC) is in agreement. The two concerned authorities with the assistance of police should implement the statutory mandate without fail," the bench, also comprising the justices S K Kaul and Rajiv Shakdher, said.
In its notice, the ASI asked the NDMC to remove the said unauthorized construction within 15 days of the receipt of this notice failing which the same will be removed at your cost," the notice also said.
NDMC was given 15 days time to remove the unauthorised construction.
"As per the provision of Section 20B of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains (Amendment and Validation)Act, every area beginning at the protected limits of the concerned centrally protected monument and existing upto a distance of 100 meters in all directions shall be prohibited area for the purpose of construction and mining....
The bench asked ASI to submit its first report in a sealed cover by October 11.
Taking cognisance of the allegation that at the instance of local MLA, a structure was built illeally near the historical monument, the bench had stayed further construction of the structure at the site.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know