Assam: Accountant commits suicide, blames sitting Congress MLA
Tezpur: A head accountant of Assam government`s Irrigation department allegedly committed suicide here, police said on Monday.
The head accountant Mothur Chandra Nath, currently posted in Udalguri district, hanged himself last night at his residence here.
In a 22-page suicide note, he blamed the sitting Congress MLA from Sonai in Cachar district Enamul Haque Laskar for allegedly driving him to this state, the police said.
Nath in the suicide note alleged that during the last assembly polls in 2011, he was forced by Laskar, who was then an Officer on Special Duty (OSD) in the Irrigation department, to collect huge amount of cash from contractors working for the department to fund his election expenses.
He further alleged that the contractors were now demanding that the amount be returned but Laskar did not respond to these demands.
The matter was under investigation, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls