Assam attacks cowardly attempts to spread fear: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday condemned the violence in Assam and said that such attacks are "cowardly attempts to spread fear and terror".
Manmohan Singh said in a statement: "The attacks are cowardly attempts to spread fear and terror among our citizens. The government stands committed to fighting terror in all its forms."
He added that his heart reaches out and grieves for all those who lost their near and dear ones and other affected people.
Violence erupted in Assam`s Bodoland Territorial Areas Districts (BTAD) May 1, when armed National Democratic Front of Bodoland cadres attacked villages in Baksa and Kokrajhar districts.
"The people of Assam have been braving terrorist attacks with courage and fortitude in the past. They have voted in large numbers in the polling for the general elections and I am confident they will continue to fight terror resolutely," Singh said.
The staggered elections in Assam for its 14 parliamentary constituencies took place April 7, 12 and 24.
Expressing shock and grief, Sigh urged the people to remain calm, ignore rumours and carry on with their activities normally. He assured that the central and the state government would take all measures to maintain law and order to restore normalcy.
According to the statement, the prime minister spoke to the chief minister and the home minister, directing them to restore normalcy.
The prime minister said the center will assist the state government in taking all measures to defeat the forces of terrorism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow