Assam BJP stages dharna over mmigration issue
New Delhi: The Assam unit of BJP Monday staged a dharna here demanding urgent steps to stop illegal immigration from Bangladesh and CBI inquiry into the recent violence in Rabha Hasong areas.
The protesting BJP members, led by party state president Sarbananda Sonowal, demanded that the Indo-Bangladesh border in Assam should be sealed immediately and fencing should be electrified.
Sonowal said nearly 20 people were killed in recent violence in Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council areas and a CBI inquiry should be conducted to find out and arrest those behind it.
He also said the proposed move to hand over a portion of Assam`s land to Bangladesh under an agreement signed by New Delhi with Dhaka should be stopped.
"The work on updation of the National Register of Citizens should be started immediately and completed within a specific time frame. The Central government should declare floods/erosion in Assam as a national problem," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional