Assam BJP stages dharna over mmigration issue
New Delhi: The Assam unit of BJP Monday staged a dharna here demanding urgent steps to stop illegal immigration from Bangladesh and CBI inquiry into the recent violence in Rabha Hasong areas.
The protesting BJP members, led by party state president Sarbananda Sonowal, demanded that the Indo-Bangladesh border in Assam should be sealed immediately and fencing should be electrified.
Sonowal said nearly 20 people were killed in recent violence in Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council areas and a CBI inquiry should be conducted to find out and arrest those behind it.
He also said the proposed move to hand over a portion of Assam`s land to Bangladesh under an agreement signed by New Delhi with Dhaka should be stopped.
"The work on updation of the National Register of Citizens should be started immediately and completed within a specific time frame. The Central government should declare floods/erosion in Assam as a national problem," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials