`Assam Rape Festival` on US website triggers controversy
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: An American website`s commentary on the security of women in India, and particularly in the state of Assam, has drawn sharp criticism.
The story with the header `The Assam Rape Festival In India Begins This Week`, first published on NationalReport.net on November 03, clearly contravenes the norms of decency.
Social media is abuzz with reactions to the satire, which many believed was "true news".
The report, which was shared more than 212,000 times on Facebook and around 1,800 times on Twitter, the "Assam Festival began in 43 BC...where men rape the evil demons out of the girls".
"I’m going to get the most rapes this year. I’ve been practicing all year. I rape my sister and her friends every day. I will be rape superstar number one! I will get the Baalkrishan prize this year for sure!," the horrendous piece allegedly quoted some 24-year-old Harikrishna Majumdar telling reporters.
Nowhere on the website it is mentioned that it publishes fake news.
The piece, which is offensive, says the man who rapes the most will be awarded The Baalkrishan trophy. The story also mentions a contact number for more details. “For more information on the festival or if you would like to participate, please call the 24-hour Assam Rape Festival hotline at (785) 273-0325“—the piece said.
The CID of Assam Police has taken up suo motu investigations into the article.
CID additional superintendent of police Nirmal Baishya said that investigations have revealed that the article was sourced from Uganda and the website is hosted in Houston in the US.
Thanks to the article, which went viral on social media, netizens started hitting out at Assam for organising such a festival. The article has sparked widespread protests among the people in the state who say it has denigrated the image of Assam in the world and has given a false picture of it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'