`Assam requested for Armydeployment in Kokrajhar`
New Delhi: Assam government had requested the Centre for deployment of Army in trouble-torn Kokrajhar district and clearance of the Army Chief was sought in the matter as the situation there had communal overtones, the Lok Sabha was informed Monday.
"Assam government had requested Defence Ministry through a fax on July 21 for deployment of Army in Kokrajhar," Defence Minister A K Antony told the Lok Sabha in a written reply.
He said on learning of the request, the ministry sought assessment of the situation from the Army as its personnel were already in deployment for counter insurgency duties in Assam.
The minister said on July 24, the state government requested Army aid to civil authorities in Kokrajhar, Dhubri and Chirang districts.
Antony said the directions for deployment of Army in aid to civil authority was issued on the same day.
He was replying to whether the Centre took a long time to send reinforcement in trouble-torn areas of Assam.
Thirty-seven Army columns have been deployed in Dhubri, Kokrajhar, Chiranguri, Baksa, Kamrup, Nalbari, Hailakandi, Cachar, Karimganj and Sonitpur districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit consequence: British thaali may give Indian lady's finger a miss
- Ajay Devgn to star in Rohit Shetty's 'Golmaal 4'! Details inside
- WATCH: Harbhajan Singh was up against a wrestler...See What Happened Next...
- After NSG setback, India joins Missile Technology Control Regime as full member; China awaits membership
- Hrithik Roshan – Kangana Ranaut legal tussle: Everything will come out soon, says actor