Assam violence: BJP alleges Tarun Gogoi govt, Centre playing votebank politics
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: With the death toll rising in Assam, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Saturday slammed the Congress government in the northeastern state as well as at the Centre for failing to take action to curb violence.
Addressing a press conference here, BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad blamed the Tarun Gogoi government in Assam and the UPA government at the Centre for complicity in the violence.
“The BJP accuses the Tarun Gogoi government and the Centre for inaction in Assam,” Prasad said.
“It is due to votebank politics that the Tarun Gogoi government is not doing enough to check violence in that region,” Prasad added.
“Tarun Gogoi is chief minister for the last 14 years; what is he doing? PM is Rajya Sabha MP from Assam for the last 24 years; what is he doing?” the BJP leader asked.
Condemning the violence, the BJP leader demanded that the guilty must be apprehended.
He also dubbed as “baseless” the allegation made by Union minister Kapil Sibal that the violence in Assam was because of Narendra Modi.
Sibal had this morning said that Modi stands for `Model of Dividing India` and accused BJP leaders of inciting violence in Assam.
At least nine more bodies were recovered in lower Assam today, taking the death toll in the recent violence to 32.
The bloodbath has been perpetrated by the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) militants.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark