Assam violence brought out worrying faultlines: PM
Kochi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday said the recent violence in Assam and its reverberations in other parts have brought out "worrying faultlines" which implies social peace and harmony cannot be taken for granted.
He also said that the media should avoid the desire to be sensational though it is very tempting some times.
"Today our country is going through difficult times. The unfortunate incidents of the past few months have brought out worrying faultlines in our society", he said at the golden jubilee celebrations of Kerala Union of Working Journalists, here.
Singh said the tragic developments in Assam and their reverberations in Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad and other places (which saw exodus of north-easterners over safety fears) have shown that "we cannot afford to take social peace and harmony for granted".
He emphasised the need to be constantly vigilant and work continuously towards promoting greater communal harmony and inter-group and inter-community dialogue.
Observing that the media has a very important role to play in the task, he said its reporting and opinions should be fair, objective and balanced.
"The desire to be sensational should be avoided even though it is very tempting sometimes. Restraint should be exercised so that nothing that divides our society and country is written, broadcast or telecast", he said, adding conscious efforts should be made to build bridges between communities and religions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17