Assam violence: NDA moves adjournment motion in Parl
New Delhi: The opposition National Democratic Alliance, Wednesday, moved an adjournment motion on the continuing violence in Assam that has claimed over 70 lives.
Moving the motion, senior BJP leader LK Advani said, “Assam issue should not be considered as a Hindu vs Muslim violence and also not as ethnic violence between Bodos and non-Bodos. While there may be some element of truth in them but the main issue in Assam is between Indian vs non-Indian, after identifying this fact, then there will be balanced in approach.”
“Because of unabated infiltration, the security of not just Assam and northeast but of the whole country is being compromised,” he claimed.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar allowed adjournment motion after the lone Bodoland Peoples Front MP SK Bwiswmuthiary raised the issue and was supported by the BJP. The members trooped to near the speaker`s podium holding placards.
Referring to the July 2005 SC judgement that declared the IMDT Act as unconstitutional, Advani demanded that foreigners should be deported.
The Illegal Migrants (Determination by Tribunal) (IMDT) Act was Indian law enacted in 1983 by Indira Gandhi government. The act was only applicable in Assam and described the procedures to detect illegal immigrants (from Bangladesh) and expel them from Assam.
The Act was pushed through mainly on the grounds that it provided special protections against undue harassment to the “minorities” that were affected by the Assam agitation, however it is said to be the biggest reason behind the growing illegal immigration from Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city