Assamese workers held for suspected ULFA link
Kottayam: Three migrant labourers from Assam have been arrested here for their suspected links with ULFA.
According to police, the mobile phone sets seized from them had pictures of key ULFA leaders and visuals of parades conducted by the ultra outfit in parts of Assam.
The arrested were identified as Hemanth Gogoi (22), Dhaniyam Gogoi (53) and Bidyut Chedia (18), all hailing from Assam, police sources said.
They were taken into custody on Wednesday and their arrest recorded late in the evening.
They would be produced before the first class judicial magistrate on Thursday, sources said.
Based on interrogation, police was on the lookout for a person who was believed to have given them the memory card containing ULFA visuals and group song, as part of propagation of ULFA ideology among migrant labourers.
Police also searched the worksite at Kanhirapally in the district where the arrested had been working for the last several months.
The arrested have been charged under Section 41-A of the CrPC (reasonable suspicion of committing offence), sources said.
Construction sector in Kerala has thousands of migrant labourers from north east, mostly from Assam, Orissa and West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...