Assamese workers held for suspected ULFA link
Kottayam: Three migrant labourers from Assam have been arrested here for their suspected links with ULFA.
According to police, the mobile phone sets seized from them had pictures of key ULFA leaders and visuals of parades conducted by the ultra outfit in parts of Assam.
The arrested were identified as Hemanth Gogoi (22), Dhaniyam Gogoi (53) and Bidyut Chedia (18), all hailing from Assam, police sources said.
They were taken into custody on Wednesday and their arrest recorded late in the evening.
They would be produced before the first class judicial magistrate on Thursday, sources said.
Based on interrogation, police was on the lookout for a person who was believed to have given them the memory card containing ULFA visuals and group song, as part of propagation of ULFA ideology among migrant labourers.
Police also searched the worksite at Kanhirapally in the district where the arrested had been working for the last several months.
The arrested have been charged under Section 41-A of the CrPC (reasonable suspicion of committing offence), sources said.
Construction sector in Kerala has thousands of migrant labourers from north east, mostly from Assam, Orissa and West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region