Assamese workers held for suspected ULFA link
Kottayam: Three migrant labourers from Assam have been arrested here for their suspected links with ULFA.
According to police, the mobile phone sets seized from them had pictures of key ULFA leaders and visuals of parades conducted by the ultra outfit in parts of Assam.
The arrested were identified as Hemanth Gogoi (22), Dhaniyam Gogoi (53) and Bidyut Chedia (18), all hailing from Assam, police sources said.
They were taken into custody on Wednesday and their arrest recorded late in the evening.
They would be produced before the first class judicial magistrate on Thursday, sources said.
Based on interrogation, police was on the lookout for a person who was believed to have given them the memory card containing ULFA visuals and group song, as part of propagation of ULFA ideology among migrant labourers.
Police also searched the worksite at Kanhirapally in the district where the arrested had been working for the last several months.
The arrested have been charged under Section 41-A of the CrPC (reasonable suspicion of committing offence), sources said.
Construction sector in Kerala has thousands of migrant labourers from north east, mostly from Assam, Orissa and West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA