Assamese workers held for suspected ULFA link
Kottayam: Three migrant labourers from Assam have been arrested here for their suspected links with ULFA.
According to police, the mobile phone sets seized from them had pictures of key ULFA leaders and visuals of parades conducted by the ultra outfit in parts of Assam.
The arrested were identified as Hemanth Gogoi (22), Dhaniyam Gogoi (53) and Bidyut Chedia (18), all hailing from Assam, police sources said.
They were taken into custody on Wednesday and their arrest recorded late in the evening.
They would be produced before the first class judicial magistrate on Thursday, sources said.
Based on interrogation, police was on the lookout for a person who was believed to have given them the memory card containing ULFA visuals and group song, as part of propagation of ULFA ideology among migrant labourers.
Police also searched the worksite at Kanhirapally in the district where the arrested had been working for the last several months.
The arrested have been charged under Section 41-A of the CrPC (reasonable suspicion of committing offence), sources said.
Construction sector in Kerala has thousands of migrant labourers from north east, mostly from Assam, Orissa and West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Aditi and Mohit Malik’s Indonesian vacation will give you honeymoon goals
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today