Assembly elections 2013: Congress rubbishes exit poll results
New Delhi: Rattled by exit polls predicting its defeat in assembly elections in all five states, Congress on Thursday questioned their veracity even as Rahul Gandhi held an informal meeting with leaders of Chhattisgarh, which the party is hopeful of wresting from the BJP.
Party spokesperson Bhakta Charan Das said he personally observed the polls in Chhattisgarh and there was clear indication that the Congress was emerging victorious there.
"This is an attempt to mislead people of the country and demoralise Congress workers especially of Chhattisgarh," he said.
"If the poll agencies can predict such a thing in Chhattisgarh, then there must not be any basis for their report in any other state. No polling agency had gone to Chhattisgarh as long as we were there. I do not know who reached there and how. We were shown getting a clear lead in even media reports then," he said.
"In Delhi, polling continued beyond 8 pm but they predicted results by 5 pm. I am wondering what will happen to the self-confidence of these survey organisations on December 8, then the results are out," Das said rubbishing the findings of the exit polls.
He claimed that the Bastar region in Chhattisgarh will tilt the balance in the favour of Congress this time as it had happened in favour of BJP in the past.
"When voting is high in BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh, you say that this is not a trend in favour of Congress but when it happens in Delhi and Rajasthan, you say that the Opposition will benefit from it. Somewhere there is some weakness. May be you are not working that hard," Das said pointing towards the media men.
Congress Vice President Rahul, meanwhile had a meeting with a dozen leaders of Chhattisgarh and talked about the party`s performance in the state.
"It was a courtesy meeting. We went to thank him for his efforts in assembly polls there," Das said.
In the meeting, Rahul is learnt to have talked in detail about party`s possibilities in assembly constituencies in the key regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- Islamic State men were planning to attack police station in Hyderabad after making powerful bombs: Report
- Pakistani TV actor shot in Karachi
- As Virat Kohli and co prepare for WI tour, MS Dhoni enjoys bike ride in Ranchi rain
- Ramayana had another heroine besides SITA – Know more about her contributions
- Samajwadi Party 'goondaraj' in UP? Azam Khan slaps Project Engineer