Assembly elections: Congress ahead, say exit polls
New Delhi: If exit polls are to be believed, the Cong-NCP combine is all set to comeback to power in Maharashtra. The Congress is also poised for a clean sweep in Haryana and Arunachal Pradesh.
In Maharashtra, one local channel gave Congress-NCP combine between 135 and 145 seats in 288-member Maharashtra Assembly with Congress surging ahead with 75-85 seats and its alliance partner NCP winning between 55 and 65.
Shiv Sena is projected to win between 55 and 65 seats and BJP emerging victorious in 45-55 seats, it said.
Raj Thackeray`s MNS is seen by the exit poll as winning between eight and 12 constituencies while others and Independents 25-35 seats.
Another news channel predicted Congress victory in 89 seats and NCP in 48. With 137 seats, it put the ruling alliance within sniffing distance of 145 seats required for a simple majority.
The same exit poll showed Shiv Sena getting 62 seats and its ally BJP 51 seats. It gave MNS 12, Republican Party of India-led alliance five and others 21 seats.
A UPA is by all standards credible as they have been in power for the last 10 years and are battling anti-incumbency. The other factor which may have gone in favour of the UPA, in case of their win, is the split of Maratha votes by MNS, especially in the Mumbai and its suburbs.
While in Haryana, exit polls have projected a Congress win with the party winning 57 seats in the 90-member Assembly.
INLD is shown winning 18 seats, Haryana Janhit Congress (nine), BSP (three), BJP (one) and Others (three).
Thanks mainly to a splintered opposition, the Congress is expected to sweep Haryana and win in Arunachal Pradesh, the Northeastern state which has been in the news because of Chinese claims to its territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Here's what Jacqueline Fernandez feels about Salman Khan-Iulia Vantur marriage! Details inside
- Buying your dream home in Gurgaon to get cheaper; circle rates might be slashed
- Shame! This man approached UP Police to register complaint, was forced to polish cops' shoes instead – Watch
- Mood swings! What's on Parineeti Chopra's mind?
- WATCH: IPL 2016 final highlights: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs SunRisers Hyderabad